REFLECTOR: Wheel pant NACA

Paula & John Schoorl pjschoorl at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 9 13:26:00 CST 2007

Craig and I are in the process of putting our wheel pants on our XL-5FG.
The manual tells you to add a small NACA scoop to aid with brake cooling.
We are a little skeptical that this will do much good other than some
airflow from touchdown to maybe 30 kts.  If brakes are hot prior to takeoff
you should get some airflow around the tire.  Any other FG builders out
there who have gone with or without the NACA's that can share their
thoughts?

For background, we have an XL-5FG with Cleveland brakes.  We have not landed
it real heavy and we fly out of a 7000 ft field so we never need to get on
the brakes hard.  When we have, we never have problems with the legs getting
very hot.

John Schoorl

XL-5FG Flying

Palmdale, CA