REFLECTOR: main gear pivot bolts

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Feb 8 09:44:37 CST 2007

I pulled my main gear off yesterday and was disappointed that the 1/2"
pivot bolts were slightly bent.  I only have a couple hundred hours on
this set of  bolts and I don't think I'm that bad of a pilot when it
comes to landing the thing.  Maybe its all a matter of perspective
though. :-)

The bolts weren't bent a whole lot, and came out with light persuasion
from a rubber mallet, but they are bent enough that I don't want to
re-use them. The gear also retracted fine prior to removal which is my
usual test to verify all is well as the clearance is fairly close for
the legs and wheels up in the wings. A leg with a really bent bolt won't
retract or will bind somewhere, ask me how I know!

I realize a redesign of this part of the system would be a lot of work,
but every A&P that I have shown this pivot bolt system too has not liked
it. Its a lot of bending forces on a long bolt that is not supported in
the middle very well. Maybe the fix is to use a thicker sleeve in the
leg to provide more support in the middle which is where the bolt always
bends? Or possibly a better(stiffer) alloy steel for the sleeve?

Anybody else with hundreds of hours on there V that has had to R&R the
main gear experience what I am?   Bolts always just a little bent?

Scott

--

-

    I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'

    Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation