REFLECTOR: main gear brake lines

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 16:54:10 CST 2007

Scott,

When I switched out my nylaflow for flexible braided
lines I went with -3 size. The local Lancair/Glasair
crowd were using -3 this and indicated that -4 could
make the brakes feel less spongy.

-4 braided line has an ID of .1875

-3 braided line has an ID of .125.

3/16 nylaflow has an ID of .138

1/8 nylaflow has an ID of .096

The -3 definitely works fine. Further, at some point
George from Matco sent me some hydraulic restrictors
to place in the brake lines near the calipers to see
if they had improved my maid gear shudder issue. The
ID of these restrictors was less than half of 1/8
nalyflow. They had no affect on the shudder issue, but
I could feel no difference in the braking pressure
required or performance either.

FWIW, Pat