REFLECTOR: Exhaust/cowling

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 26 17:23:11 CST 2007

Tom,

I have the factory exhausts and the factory blister for the #1 cylinder on
the IO360.

I am not near the plane so I can't go measure how close it is in there - but
I'd guess it is 1-2" to 3/4" between the bare pipe and the inside of the
blister.  After 360 hours, the inside of the blister is a bit brown (I
coated the inside of my cowls with JeffCo (left over from the fuel tanks -
to minimize the oil bleed through some folks said they were having with
their cowls).  Another thing that I did was leave plenty of clearance around
the exhaust outlets where they go through the cowl.  I left about 1" all
around to promote some air movement there and to the front of the engine.  I
have a temperature sensor measuring my under cowl temps at cruise and seldom
see over 180 degrees

The blister and the outside of the blister are fine - still white and stiff.

Perhaps it is because the cowls were heated over a period of time. I.e.,
first engine run procedure, taxi tests then first flight.  The Tg of the
epoxy can be raised if you don't try to do it all at one time - else you can
get the sagging.  (applies to engine air plenums too!)

Ronnie Brown