REFLECTOR: Ice

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Dec 16 14:29:44 CST 2007

I've done it quite a bit in New Mexico and Colorado.

Its tricky mainly because we don't have a rudder to blow against to help
us turn. If its really really smooth sheet ice, avoid it, no matter what
kind of plane you have.

As far as taxiing you have to get a feel for what is the right speed to
keep going straight across ruts and stuff but not so fast you can't
steer somewhat and slowly stop. Key word is slowly stop. Its like
driving a boat, you start putting in the input before you need it,
always stay way way ahead of the airplane.  Start to stop long before
you really need to. Then if you stop too soon, just goose it forward
until your there. DON'T BE IN A HURRY!

If there is a stiff crosswind, I wouldn't even attempt to land or take
off. The steering control from the rudders is about nil below 35-40 knots.

takeoff

Get situated exactly straight down the runway. On the roll, try to stay
off the brakes, no holding the brakes until you get takeoff RPM. Just go
to full power as quickly as possible with out over boosting or over
revving. You want to get to a speed where the rudders become responsive
as fast as possible. Once you have rudders its like any other takeoff.
Its basically a short field takeoff without holding the brakes until
takeoff RPM is achieved.

Slush.. If the runway is slushy or there is snow on it, plan on it
taking a lot longer to get going! Get the nose wheel up out of the slush
  as soon as possible.   Also if your plane is a retract let the plane
get up to speed and blow any slush, ice, snow etc, off.  Don't be shy,
let it hang out there a while, before retracting. Nothing like having
your gear frozen up in the wells at your destination!

Landing

I use a short field landing technique.  Mainly because from 40 knots
down to 5 your not going to use your brakes to slow down so you want all
the runway you can use to coast to a stop.  Keep both rudders deployed
but a very light touch on the brakes. Like none. If you need to steer,
use short soft jabs. The wheel will probably skid but it will turn up
again once you release so you can brake again. A rolling wheel gives you
a lot more stability than a sliding one.  Don't start a turn until you
are slow enough to stop if the turn isn't successful.

Watch for ridges, they can take control of your steering!   Especially
after a fresh snow, they get buried and you think the path looks smooth
, but maybe not!

All this sounds more complicated than it is.  I use to put off flying if
there was snow on the ramp or runway, but your plane can handle it if
you  take the time to get used to snow and ice.  A good thing would be
to just taxi around through the stuff a few times. No flying planned,
just taxi around and get in an area where you can slide around with out
hitting anything and see how she handles.  Play around...

If you have an instructor with experience by all means utilize the resource.

Scott