REFLECTOR: Crankcase Breather

Kirk Aragon aragon_kirk at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:52:17 CST 2007

Bruce,

I saw something similar to the attached JPG. It shows a SS 1/2 pipe clamped to the main exhaust.  The breather tube attached to the top.

Kirk

From: bdtopp at comcast.net
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:10:44 -0600
Subject: REFLECTOR: Crankcase Breather

I was thinking about ideasfor the crankcase breather that would not get oil on the cowl and would notfreeze over but did not use a air-oil separator (not a fan of those things). I have seen airplanes that had a tube welded to the exhaust and the breatherhose hooked up to that.  The breather exits inside the exhaust pipe. The Piper Malibu I believe does this. I was thinking aboutdrilling a hole in the exhaust approximately 2 inches up the exhaust from theinside of the cowl. 1/2 inch hole to match the breather tube I currently haveexiting the bottom the of aircraft. Then weld a stainless tube to this hole andconnect the breather tube to it.  I attached a crude picture of what I amattempting to explain. Can anybody think of an ideaof why this might not be a good idea?  It seems like the perfect solutionto keep oil off the cowl and would never freeze.  Bruce ToppXL-FG