REFLECTOR: Ammeters

LAURA WALKER blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 9 14:36:51 CST 2007

Thanks Joe,

    Thanks for the input, and you may have solved my situation. I am usually only sensitive about floating grounds if the manufacturer specifies against them. My ground system is thus: My avionics panel is connected to a "front" common connection with other electrical items in the front of the aircraft including the front battery. This front (-) connector is then connected to a rear (-) connector by 2 gauge cable which in turn grounds all of the electrical items in the rear of the plane, including the rear battery and all items attached to the engine and firewall.
    The front hall-effect ammeter is grounded to the front (-) post and the rear one is connected to the rear post. I have neither tied into the B connector which pins out the inputs for both ammeters.
    Maybe I did not read the instructions carefully enough...I will remedy that tomorrow. It would take very little effort to bring the rear ammeter wire up to the front of the plane and possibly ground both at the same B connector.
    I wonder why nobody at GRT suggested this?
    Oh well, not to lay blame, it's my airplane after all. Just glad to have a little direction.

    Thanks for the input. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Bill Walker