REFLECTOR: Of spelling and spilling

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 9 08:18:07 CST 2007

Dear Al,

OK, OK,  I am buying!  Yer right.  I need to proof read before I hit “send.”
Thanks, Al, that’s actually where I am headed next on the door seals.  My
McM-Carr sticky strip still has possibilities to explore when applied on one
mating face or the other and/or in combo with the factory u-channel seal
just thought I’d  check in and see.

Oh, and every time I look at toe bars (!) and the fab efforts needed, I
figure pushing it by hand is the likely solution too!   Dave S’s fork looks
different than the XL fork.  Dave, The XL fork only has tow (whoops two)
flat faces.  The side faces have a pretty deep curve on them.  I’ve been
looking at a C clamp arrangement that would clamp on to the front and back
faces, or (idea #2) some kind of articulating hook to grab the axle sleeves
on either side of the tire, but a tow bar has to both push and pull and
those sleeves might get beat up.

A QC guy with Lockheed Martin and a local RV7 builder/flyer thought that ¼
holes drilled right in middle of side braces (not the top fitting) would not
compromise overall component strength.  I would need to find out more on the
fork material specs before I did that.  His idea was to have the tow bar be
the male of the fitting with steal rod going into the drilled holes.  I’d be
afraid of elongation and other stresses and didn’t like that idea.

I am actually more engaged in the flying now, but I had some dead time
yesterday afternoon waiting for glue to set up and waiting for the FedEx
driver to get over here w/ my updated autopilot head, so I got to looking at
it again.  Truth is, I have a big chunk of ¼ steel plate maybe 5 inches wide
by 5 feet long and I keep thinking that I just need to keep thinking.

Regards,

Terry

  _____