REFLECTOR: canard question

Tony Babb tonybabb at alejandra.net
Sat Dec 8 18:37:42 CST 2007

Hi Grigore,

Mine was a fast build kit with similar problems. I did the same as suggested
by Al, to get the fore/aft level just measure in several places along the
canard and take an average. As for level left/right I carefully measured
using a digital level - but it was still out by almost an inch - one end of
the canard was higher than the other by about 3/4 inch when compared to the
Center Section spar. I contacted the V factory and they said the best way to
measure left/right was to stand about 10 - 20 feet in front of the nose and
then compare the canard with the Center Section spar - make sure the canard
is level with the CS spar. This will give you the most accurate measurement.

By the way, if you ever have to remove the canard bushings - as I did - all
you have to do is put a soldering iron in the bolt hole in the bushing, wait
about 5 - 10 minutes and the heat will soften the adhesive so that you can
easily tap out the bushing with a small hammer. I then expanded the hole
about 1/8 inch in the direction I needed and inserted the bushing with
Aeropoxy adhesive. I checked with the support people at Aeropoxy, they said
there'd be no problem with a small gap around the bushing, the Aeropoxy will
easily seal it and fill up the gap.

Tony
SEFG FBF, FBW
www.alejandra.net/velocity