REFLECTOR: Crossflow Engines

LAURA WALKER blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 6 10:16:18 CST 2007

Here is a short story.

I, like many others was impressed by what I saw from Crossflow at both major air shows for a number of years. Their product seemed the perfect fit for my XL project. After numerous telephone communications, my wife and I decided to drive to Toronto for a long weekend, and from there I would go up to Crossflow's "factory". For three weeks prior, I was assured by Jorge that there would be numerous engines on test stands for me to witness full power run-ups.

When I arrived, the factory turned out to be rather smaller and less daunting than I was led to believe. Apparently, they had just moved in and were still in the process of unpacking. The numerous engines turned out to be one, and it was both a lesser horsepower model, and for some reason would not be running at all that day. I was shown a nice CNC machine that could faithfully replicate pretty engine baubles but overall was severly underwhelmed at their efforts. There were two or machinists milling around, but nothing was really happening. Jorge, who was supposed to have been there had to unexpectedly fly out for an unplanned business trip and had left as I was rolling in. I spent about an hour speaking with Anna (I believe, but it was three years ago). I asked pointed questions and got fluff answers. Specifically, where was the member's forum and how could I get in touch with people flying these wonderful engines all over the place? Nada. I left there
 thinking that the Canada/USA financial interface was a good way for me to lose $40k.