REFLECTOR: Crossflow

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Dec 4 16:10:10 CST 2007

 <mailto:len.baxter at gm.com> len.baxter at gm.com wrote:

Whew.... you were on a roll , Andy!!!!  Can't dissagree with you on the Crossflow or for the Vesta for that matter.   But, the fact remains that a properly executed "auto conversion" can be  an awsome powerplant for an experimental.

Then, on the other hand, some of the unconventional power plants can be awesomely fearsome.  A few weeks ago I flew into Idaho Falls in the Velo and notice an RV-4 on the ramp that seems to be in rut, at least the front end was big like a buck ready to do business.  I walked over and took a peak. The cowling was obviously a one of a kind; big and meaty.  On the side, it proudly announced "L3 V-8, 350 HP".

Now, in a Velo you can go fast with 350 hp, but in an RV, you can go crazy with 350 ph.  I asked one of the fellows on the ramp if the owner ever flew it and he replied "once, and it scared him so darn bad he never flew it again."  Fortunately, the Velo is a pretty big and solid bird and will handle quite a bit of horsepower, but an RV...that's different.  A truism that can not be ignored is horsepower adds instability.  The more horsepower you add, the less stable the platform.  Its true whether you're talking airplanes, cars or boats.  For instance, which is more stable, a 160 hp standard Mustang or a 260 hp standard Mustang?  Between two identical vehicles, the one with the greatest horsepower will be the least stable.  Of course, it'll also be a load of fun and exhilarating, but then, I guess that's why we fly.

My hats off to those who have the skill and daring to tackle conversion of unconventional power plants.  As long as they know what they're getting into, more power to them (literally and figuratively).

Chuck