REFLECTOR: Subaru run video

len.baxter at gm.com len.baxter at gm.com
Tue Dec 4 13:41:01 CST 2007

Ron.... thanks for the caution !!!     Is anyone flying a Crossflow
sucessfully??

Len Baxter
XLRG-5

"Ron Brown" <romott at roadrunner.com>
Sent by: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
12/04/2007 02:22 PM
Please respond to
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
cc

Subject
Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video

I had written the following to Alex but since Matt and Len have mentioned
the Crossflow engines, let me share what I know about Crossflow and to
caution folks to be VERY CAREFUL before you spend any money.  There is
another Velocity builder out there that ordered and paid for an engine and
had not received it as of a year or so ago.  I hadn't planned on sharing
the note to Alex with the Reflector crowd, but since at least two of you
are considering the engine - I didn't want to see anyone else taken to the
cleaners (Dick paid as much for his FWF Crossflow, 4 cylinder turbo engine
as I did my Don George Lycasarus IO360.)  I have 360 hours of reliable
flying - Dick is still trying to get his airplane back home.

Alex,
I wanted to update you on my friend, Dick Healy and his 4 cylinder, turbo
charged Crossflow Subaru mounted on his Lancair 320 in 2004.

He has spent much of the summer in Canada after trailering his airplane to
Crossflow to get the engine running right. (He got his engine after many
delays in 2004).  They are on the third engine now (at least one engine
was fried from running too lean), added an intercooler due to high
combustion air temps.  The third engine has flown once and with winter
setting in, it may be next year before they can confirm the flyability of
the current setup.

Just wanted you to know that Jorge may not know all he needs to know about
the ECU and engine operations.  On one of his trips down to NC to tune the
ECU, he told Dick he did not think it was advisable to provide a cool air
source to the turbo inlet.  You and I both know, the cooler the air, the
better the engine performance will be (well short of carb icing - but
these engines ARE fuel injected).  I couldn't believe Jorge had advised
against the cool air scoop.  Now, he understands that not only does it
need a cool air source, it also needs to have an intercooler to keep
combustion air down to a reasonable temperature.

Good luck with your engine - I feel better about what you are doing versus
buying a firewall forward (rearward) from Crossflow.  They make a pretty
engine, but I question his engine knowledge.  Last I heard, he has sold 60
engines.  None are in reliable flying conditions yet!  Dick says there is
one other flying engine at Crossflow, but it hasn't left the area yet.

Reflector Gang:  I love auto engines as much as anyone.  I have been a hot
rodder for years, built several engines including a Chevy small block in a
53 Studebaker coupe.  But, if you want reliable power for your Velocity,
an engine that will keep you flying for a long time on a single rebuild,
and can actually get pretty good fuel burns with a matched set of injector
nozzles and good EGT/CHT monitoring (I get 8 GPH at 2600 rpm and 155 knots
in my 173 Elite RG.  In a standard wing, you can add at least 15 knots to
the cruise speed.  Oh and I hung my engine and installed all of the FW
backwards in a little over a month.  Everything works as installed
originally.  It starts easily, runs cool, and is very dependable.

Ronnie Brown