REFLECTOR: Intercooler pictures

Joe Ewen Jewen at comporium.net
Thu Aug 30 22:40:07 CDT 2007

FYI
If anyone is looking for information on inlet / diffuser design.there is a
book "The Aerodynamics of Propulsion" by Kuchemann and Weber, (the
publication is often referred to as "K&W") that is a very good source.  On
the FlyRotary list (Rotary Motors in Aircraft) this seems almost to be the
bible of cooling diffusers.  They endorse a streamline diffuser, which is
best described as trumpet shaped, with the coordinates of the trumpet well
defined by formula.  The advantages of this diffuser style is a shorter
length, better pressure recovery and more even pressure distribution.  I am
using the K&W streamline diffuser design for both water and oil cooling, but
am not flying yet so my installation is yet to be proven.  Al Gietzen does
have a SE / Rotary that is flying, which I believe is based on the K&W
information.

For What Its Worth,
Joe