REFLECTOR: Gear down to land.

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Aug 26 10:31:50 CDT 2007

The classic example of the choice gear up or down...where there is no
real choice, is landing in water.  Gear up or down?  It's not even a
close decision.  Gear up, the Velo is a Ski-Doo, gear down, it'll mimic
one of those diving ducks that plunge into the water, though with one
difference---they aren't upside down.

The same principle applies to soft/soggy terrain.  As soon as the gear
settles on soft/soggy/boggy terra firma, the gear will stop but the
plane keeps going.  The canard does not make a good stake-in-the-ground.
As the surface gets harder, the decision gets more difficult as its a
closer call.  In this case, Tom's wiring components may not have been
perfect, but his decision-making and piloting skills were.

As to the question, corn or beans, its difficult to say.  Is the corn
tassled out?  Ears formed?  Cargil or Pioneer? Beans podded?  Rows
filled in?  Too many variables to get my head around, but I do believe I
would do it gear up.  Otherwise as soon as the gear started to get hung
up in the beans/corn, the plane would want to nose-dive or flip
over--not good.  AOPA August article, eh?  Must have missed that one.

Terry, keep cutting, stripping and terminating--you're getting close.

Chuck Jensen