REFLECTOR: INCIDENT PHOTO

Ann DaSilva samann1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 25 15:28:45 CDT 2007

I have had the misfortune to have made 2 off airport landings due to engine
failures one in a retract into a muddy field. I elected not to put the gear
down and the only damage was a scratched belly. the second was in a fixed
gear into a field with gulches which were covered with grass it tore the
nose gear clean off and broke the canard bulkhead and canard spar If I had
not had wheel pants on the mains which kept the mains from falling into the
ditches the whole back end would have been torn off. Had it been a retract I
would not have put the gear down and would have minimal damage, a scratched
underbelly. My  experience, your choice as to which you do.         But in a
( VELOCITY) I'm with Tom .                        Sam DaSilva