REFLECTOR: Questions with new Franklin

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:07:22 CDT 2007

Jerry,

On the issue of oil in the intake manifold, I have also observed this.  It was something that happened early while I was doing ground testing.  It no longer seems to be an issue now that I am flying.  PZL Franklin engines are run in a test cell prior to shipment and according to the factory do not require special treatment to seat the rings.  I have a single oil cooler in the nose with 1/2" lines running up one side and down the other.  Initially I had oil temp. problems.  I added a pair of VG's in front of the cooler inlet and that dropped the temp. about 20F.  The VG's are 3/4" tall.  A second drop came when I replaced my mineral oil with Elite 20W50 at 20 hours.  I can now climb to altitude at 225F with OAT of 96F and cruise at 195F.  Oil temp. also got gradually lower with time during the first 50 hours.

I also have the split plenum like Mike.  This will also give you access to the oil filler cap.

Larry Coen
N136LC
SE/RG Franklin IVO