REFLECTOR: Building in larger raduis joints, and blended winglets...

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 20 14:29:01 CDT 2007

Here's a thread with some good info:

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/showthread.php?t=4114
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Khasky, Albert
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 12:47 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Building in larger raduis joints, and blended winglets...

  Hi gang!

  First of all, for those I did not meet this year at OSH, my name is Albert Khasky and I am building an XL-5 retract. I am a SAN engineer in MN with my wife Bre and 7 month old  Henri.blah blah blah. ;-)

  Anyhoo,

   Got a question-and forgive me if it has been beaten to death already-I want to blend my winglets, upper and lower wing/strake to fuselage joints etc to eliminate hard angles and drag. It was discussed some at OSH. I am thinking of making the radius joints out of foam and bonding them down with 2 bid rather than a huge amount of micro which might crack.what do you think? Also how much radius does it take to really make a difference in this area? Is a finger width fillet enough, and more would be just aesthetic?

  Thanks!

  Albert

  "Dream it, Build it, kick it , scream at it, pee on it, and someday fly it"