REFLECTOR: Building in larger raduis joints, and blended winglets...

Khasky, Albert Albert.Khasky at Virteva.com
Mon Aug 20 12:47:23 CDT 2007

Hi gang!

First of all, for those I did not meet this year at OSH, my name is
Albert Khasky and I am building an XL-5 retract. I am a SAN engineer in
MN with my wife Bre and 7 month old  Henri...blah blah blah... ;-)

Anyhoo,

 Got a question-and forgive me if it has been beaten to death already-I
want to blend my winglets, upper and lower wing/strake to fuselage
joints etc to eliminate hard angles and drag. It was discussed some at
OSH. I am thinking of making the radius joints out of foam and bonding
them down with 2 bid rather than a huge amount of micro which might
crack...what do you think? Also how much radius does it take to really
make a difference in this area? Is a finger width fillet enough, and
more would be just aesthetic?

Thanks!

Albert

"Dream it, Build it, kick it , scream at it, pee on it, and someday fly
it"