REFLECTOR: Questions with new Franklin

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 20 11:16:34 CDT 2007

Mine was not "new" but since it went through a through re-building, the procedure was the same.

I had a bit of challenge since not only my engine needed to be burned in, but the plane itself had not flown before and therefore had to go through the normal pre-first flight stuff like taxing on the ground and what not that were not compatible with keeping the engine at sustained high RPM.

After consulting with A&P, we decided that it was probably acceptable to do some taxing and ground ops as long as we kept it to a minimum.  I also hired a test pilot to take the plane to the air the first few hours so that I can minimize the ground ops.

I do get the "puddle" of oil on the intake manifold as you mention.  I am up to 30 hours or so and have done 3+ hours of sustained flight and it does not seem to get more than a couple table spoons full.  Mine also spews oil everywhere as the engine seems to "seep" oil from just about every seams and joints.

Overall, I think I add about 1qt of oil every 8 hours or so of flight, some of that gets dumped overboard through the breather tube (which I cut too short so it goes all over the belly...)

As for the oil temps, it seems like you are seeing about the same numbers I was seeing before I added the exit baffle to the front cooler (I have the dual cooler setup).  You mentioned that you have single cooler and I assume you have the front one only.  Try adding a little baffle where the hot air exits the duct.  That helped mine a lot.

Hiroo