REFLECTOR: Incident/Accident

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Sat Aug 18 22:23:32 CDT 2007

We just had this same situation happen on the Aerocomander.  The left engine just went  into max pitch on take off roll.   Went back and let it cool down.  It then ran up fine but after take off and about 200 ft.  it once again went in max pitch but this time into feather. Limped it back around with one engine.   It's now sitting in MO.  waiting a new governor.  If your engine Tom is from a twin engine plane and  the governor came with the engine, then chances are this is what happen. On the twins if you loose oil pressure then it's suppose to go into feather.  It the gov. came from a single engine type with the right governor it should have not let it go into feather.  It should have gone into flat pitch and high RPM.

I have also found some engines that have been run with a fix pitch prop and then converted back to a C/S and not have the inner crank plug  installed.  So when the oil gets hot the pressure can't build up enough in the crank so the governor can't get enough pressure to operate.

Just a few weeks ago I tore down a fixed pitch IO360 from a Velocity Std. and found that the inner plug had not been removed for a fixed pitch.  This can also do  damage.  Because now the oil can't get out of the fwd end of the crank and drain back into the engine case.  So make sure where you get the governor and the condition the engine was used prior to  installing a governor or removing one.  On the Lycoming the crank has to be bult up accordingly.

By the way if you were using the MT prop your crank is probably OK.  They just turn into tooth picks. So for now I would check the governor for being the right one for your configuration and also that the inner plug is installed in the crank.  With the prop off just look into the crank and behind the cross tube in there you will see a large plug.  It the plug has a hole in it with no small plug in it, this may be your problem.  Some times I have found this plug has fallen out and is laying in the end of the crank.  It is usually a allen type 1/8 plug.  If it has fallen out put it back in with lock tite.  Do not use a magnet to fish it out.  Only use mechanical fingers.

Not saying this is your problem with your prop going out or even any part of your engine problem but it may be a thought when fishing through all this.

Dave
From: "RBrim" <rbrim at PerformanceSolutionsTech.com>