REFLECTOR: finger strainers vs. mom's kitchen strainer

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 17:39:25 CDT 2007

I had decided to use the finger strainers because installing mom's kitchen strainer looked a little awkward. But then it occured to me that the purpose of the kitchen strainer and the finger strainers aren't the same. If the lineman's nose ring accidentally falls into the fuel tank while he's filling it up, it could find its way to the 3/8" fuel outlet and plug it up. With a 3" kitchen strainer mesh around the fuel outlet, small leaves or debris that might get into the tank won't plug up the outlet.

Also, I installed my fuel ring over the fuel tank compartment with the fuel outlet so that I can periodically inspect mom's kitchen strainer to make sure it's not getting clogged up with anything. At the annual condition inspection I could run a little vaccuum hose down into the tank and suck up any debris that had accumulated. The trade off is that the cap is now inside the prop arc, so I'll need to have some kind of back-up chain that holds on to the cap even if I forget to put it back on. The cap is plastic. Would it damage a Catto prop if it hit it?

Doug Holub