REFLECTOR: Transponder coax line loss

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 11:35:05 CDT 2007

Anyone interested,

This is a link to a coax line loss calculator. www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl The frequency for your transponder is 1090 MHz.

Andy Ellzey

----- Original Message ----
From: Keith Hallsten <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:47:48 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Transponder Antenna

Larry,

Actually, that's an "Old Wives Tale".  The output that's significant for
biological effects is the average output, which is very low for the
intermittent broadcasts of a transponder.  Transponders are rated on their
peak output, which looks like a scary number.

I am not going to loose any sleep because I located the transponder antenna
fairly close to my body.

The high frequencies used by transponders make the line losses significant,
so it's best to keep the antenna feedlines as short as possible and also to
use a low-loss type of coaxial cable, such as RG-400, rather than the old
RG-58.

Regards,

Keith Hallsten