REFLECTOR: FW: Wing root fairings

Jack Prock jackprock at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 21:11:26 CDT 2007

>> If you look at the pressure plot (in last month''s Kitplanes or Sport
Pilot)
>> you get a low pressure area at  those intersections. That is definitely a
>> bad thing under the wing,

I think you mean high pressure area at the intersections of the wing with a
vertical surface.
(I tried to find the article, but couldn't. So I may be mistaken.) What I
remember is the
high pressure area above and below the wing at the wing root causing
significant drag.

Either way, I think what the optimum would be, is shown in an SR-71.
Although the
Velocity's are a tiny bit slower, the SR-71 eliminated all vertical
intersections with the wing
root and fuselage. It would be interesting to do some drag analysis to see
how much improvement
one would get by smoothing the transition.

Jack Prock