REFLECTOR: O 540

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 15:07:01 CDT 2007

O 540What is the rest of the engine type part number? The O 540 has a carburetor. An IO-540 is fuel injected. The rest of the engine type part number will tell you all of the other details about your engine that makes it 235 HP. I have several models of O-540 engines on a document I got off the internet and it shows that the difference in HP on the same engines (as an example 0-540-A1A5) that the only difference in HP is in takeoff RPM. 2575 = 260, 2400 = 235 HP. Your HP for your engine will be at a specific RPM. The larger the prop diameter that your engine was designed for will show a lower takeoff RPM.

Andy Ellzey