REFLECTOR: Velocity gear for an E-Racer

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Mon Aug 13 12:57:25 CDT 2007

At 06:15 AM 8/12/2007, you wrote:

>The requirements in my mind..
>
>1.)  Gear box,  does the E-Racer provide that structure or have room
>for it to be built?

Plenty.  The E-racer is a side by side 2 place airplane that
originally had an auto engine conversion in the back seat
area.  Later (Mk 2) versions went to a conventional Lycoming, on a
conventional firewall, with a BIG luggage area in the back.  There
should be plenty of room for the inside mechanism.

>2.)  Room forward of the fuselage for the gear box and upper gear
>swing?  Is the fuselage wide enough?  I guess you could shorten the
>upper gear legs if the E-Racer fuselage is narrower, just be a
>harder pull for the hydraulics and cables.

I don't know, but suspect the fuselage is about as wide as the small
Velo.  I know it's a *touch* wider than the Cozy 3, but we're only
talking an inch or so.  I'd guess it's close enough to be adaptable.

>3.)  Geometry of the wing to fuselage, is it the same or close?  The
>lower leg is shaped to fit into that when retracted.

Again, it's close.  And since the airplane is moldless, he can adapt
the fuselage shape to the gear if he has to.

>I've heard of Velocity gear being put into a Cozy and another 4 seat
>canard(can't think of the name).
>
>He should contact the factory to get more info and a price on a
>complete rg gear set with installation plans.

I've suggested it.  But he seems to be determined to go forward with
the Berkut gear.  There's only so much you can do.