REFLECTOR: Remote compass location

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 11:20:45 CDT 2007

I agree with impossible to reach and I am resolved to
locate my magnetometer as far forward in the outboard
strake and just do the compass swing with the wings
removed.

Andy

--- Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

---------------------------------
    Andy,

I have the same requirement for the Dynon
Magnetometer.  We are talkingabout the physical
alignment of the unit.  And I agree it would
beimpossible to do that with the wing installed.
Unless you come up withsome gimbaled mount that you
could adjust remotely.  Trying to doanything through
those little wing bolt access holes would
beimpossible.

Scott

Andrew Ellzey wrote:
Scott,The BM manual states to align your Magnetometer
withthe X,Y,Z axis of your airplane. X with the nose
Yparallel with your wings and Z straight down. I
havefired up my system on the test bench and you
candefinitely swing your heading by moving
theMagnetometer. I haven't found the step that
statesthat you can electronically adjust your heading,
so Iplan to adjust my magnetometer as close as
possiblewhen I do my compass swing. If there is an
electronicstoreable compensation, I'm hoping mine will
be verysmall.Andy--- Scott Derrick
<scott at tnstaafl.net>
wrote:---------------------------------    I don't
understand, is there an adjustment on theremote
compassitself?  How odd if so...The Dynon RC is just a
little blank aluminum box witha DB9 connector,all
adjustments in software...  Unless your referring to
the physical alignment of theremote compassto the main
unit?ScottAndrew Ellzey wrote:  Thanks everyone for
the feedback, The BM manualstatesto locate the
Magnetometer at least 12 inchesfrom anysteel larger
than a 10 X 32 screw. I think Ican stillreach my
Magnetometer through the bottom 3inch holeat 12 inches
from the outboard wing bolts. Ifnot I'lljust have to
do the compass swing before Iattach mywings.thanks
again,Andy--- Scott
Derrick<scott at tnstaafl.net>wrote:---------------------------------
   Generally, the biggest problem is strong currentsor
movingiron(ie.the nose gear).   Of course a magnetis
badthing! While the wing attach bolts are relatively
bigiron, they are notmoving which will allow the
softwareto"swing" the compass, store anystatic
adjustmentsasyou would on a compass card and
adjustitsmagneticsensing in realtime.ScottAndrew
Ellzeywrote:  With it mounted this far forward in
thestrake, didyoudo a compass swing with the
wingsremoved in ordertoadjust the mag heading? I
wanted itclose to the 3inchhole in the bottom of the
strake soI could reachitfor small final adjustments
withouttaking thewingsoff. Has anyone else located
theirmagnetometercloserto the bottom 3 inch hole with
nomagneticinterferencefrom the outboard wing
bolts?AndyEllzey--- Craig
andDeniseWoolston<cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
   Wemounted ours as far forward in the
strakeaspossible atthe strake end.Our strobe, nav
andlanding lights arerunningthrough the center
ofthebulkheads which go b/tthe rear fuel
bulkheadandthe spar.  So, whateverthatdistance is.  We
have aBM and a GRT in eachstrakerespectively.
Nointerference problems after
140hours.CraigXL-5FGFlying in Lancaster,
CA-----OriginalMessage-----From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]OnBehalfOf
Andrew EllzeySent: Monday, August 06, 20076:15AMTo:
Velocity Aircraft Owners andBuilderslistSubject: Re:
REFLECTOR: RemotecompasslocationThose mounting their
Magnetometer intheiroutboardstrakes, how far forward
from thewingmountingboltsdid you place your
magnetometer? Didyoukeep thewiring from your strobes
and navlightingseparatedorrun them together
withoutanyinterference?AndyEllzeyXLRG_______________________________________________Tochangeyour
 www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw=tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck
newarchives:www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheckoldarchives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- -    Truth : the most deadly weapon
everdiscoveredby humanity. Capable of destroying
entireperceptualsets, cultures, and realities.
Outlawed byallgovernments everywhere. Possession
isnormallypunishable by death.    Richard Childers

=tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new
archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives:

http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________Tochange
your email address,
visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisitthe
gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw
=tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new
archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old
archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 -- -    I worry about my child and the Internet
allthe time, even though she's too young to have
loggedon yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that
10 or15 years from now, she will come to me and say
'Daddy,where were you when they took freedom of the
pressaway from the Internet?'    Mike Godwin,
ElectronicFrontier Foundation