REFLECTOR: Remote compass location

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 07:56:52 CDT 2007

Scott,

The BM manual states to align your Magnetometer with
the X,Y,Z axis of your airplane. X with the nose Y
parallel with your wings and Z straight down. I have
fired up my system on the test bench and you can
definitely swing your heading by moving the
Magnetometer. I haven't found the step that states
that you can electronically adjust your heading, so I
plan to adjust my magnetometer as close as possible
when I do my compass swing. If there is an electronic
storeable compensation, I'm hoping mine will be very
small.

Andy

--- Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

---------------------------------
    I don't understand, is there an adjustment on the
remote compassitself?  How odd if so...

The Dynon RC is just a little blank aluminum box with
a DB9 connector,all adjustments in software...

Unless your referring to the physical alignment of the
remote compassto the main unit?

Scott

Andrew Ellzey wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback, The BM manual
statesto locate the Magnetometer at least 12 inches
from anysteel larger than a 10 X 32 screw. I think I
can stillreach my Magnetometer through the bottom 3
inch holeat 12 inches from the outboard wing bolts. If
not I'lljust have to do the compass swing before I
attach mywings.thanks again,Andy--- Scott Derrick
<scott at tnstaafl.net>
wrote:---------------------------------    Generally,
the biggest problem is strong currentsor moving
iron(ie.the nose gear).   Of course a magnetis bad
thing! While the wing attach bolts are relatively big
iron, they are notmoving which will allow the software
to"swing" the compass, store anystatic adjustments
asyou would on a compass card and adjust
itsmagneticsensing in realtime.ScottAndrew Ellzey
wrote:  With it mounted this far forward in the
strake, didyoudo a compass swing with the wings
removed in ordertoadjust the mag heading? I wanted it
close to the 3inchhole in the bottom of the strake so
I could reachitfor small final adjustments without
taking thewingsoff. Has anyone else located their
magnetometercloserto the bottom 3 inch hole with no
magneticinterferencefrom the outboard wing bolts?Andy
Ellzey--- Craig andDenise
Woolston<cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net> wrote:        We
mounted ours as far forward in the strakeaspossible at
the strake end.Our strobe, nav andlanding lights are
runningthrough the center ofthebulkheads which go b/t
the rear fuel bulkheadandthe spar.  So, whateverthat
distance is.  We have aBM and a GRT in eachstrake
respectively. Nointerference problems after 140
hours.CraigXL-5FGFlying in Lancaster, CA-----Original
Message-----From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]OnBehalf
Of Andrew EllzeySent: Monday, August 06, 20076:15
AMTo: Velocity Aircraft Owners and
BuilderslistSubject: Re: REFLECTOR: Remote
compasslocationThose mounting their Magnetometer in
theiroutboardstrakes, how far forward from the
wingmountingboltsdid you place your magnetometer? Did
youkeep thewiring from your strobes and nav
lightingseparatedorrun them together without
anyinterference?AndyEllzeyXLRG_______________________________________________Tochange
your email
address,visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisitthe
gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw
=tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new
archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck
oldarchives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

=tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new
archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old
archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 -- -    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever
discoveredby humanity. Capable of destroying entire
perceptualsets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by
allgovernments everywhere. Possession is
normallypunishable by death.    Richard Childers

http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________To
change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit
the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw =
tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives:
www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives:

-- -    I worry about my child and the Internet all
the time, even though she's too young to have logged
on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or
15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy,
where were you when they took freedom of the press
away from the Internet?'    Mike Godwin, Electronic
Frontier Foundation