REFLECTOR: Remote compass location

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 20:06:36 CDT 2007

Thanks everyone for the feedback, The BM manual states
to locate the Magnetometer at least 12 inches from any
steel larger than a 10 X 32 screw. I think I can still
reach my Magnetometer through the bottom 3 inch hole
at 12 inches from the outboard wing bolts. If not I'll
just have to do the compass swing before I attach my
wings.

thanks again,

Andy

--- Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

---------------------------------
    Generally,  the biggest problem is strong currents
or moving iron(ie.the nose gear).   Of course a magnet
is bad thing!

While the wing attach bolts are relatively big iron,
they are notmoving which will allow the software to
"swing" the compass, store anystatic adjustments as
you would on a compass card and adjust itsmagnetic
sensing in realtime.

Scott

Andrew Ellzey wrote:
With it mounted this far forward in the strake, didyou
do a compass swing with the wings removed in orderto
adjust the mag heading? I wanted it close to the 3inch
hole in the bottom of the strake so I could reachit
for small final adjustments without taking thewings
off. Has anyone else located their magnetometercloser
to the bottom 3 inch hole with no magneticinterference
from the outboard wing bolts?Andy Ellzey--- Craig and
Denise Woolston<cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

We mounted ours as far forward in the strake
aspossible at the strake end.Our strobe, nav and
landing lights are runningthrough the center of
thebulkheads which go b/t the rear fuel bulkhead
andthe spar.  So, whateverthat distance is.  We have a
BM and a GRT in eachstrake respectively.
Nointerference problems after 140 hours.CraigXL-5FG
Flying in Lancaster, CA-----Original Message-----From:
reflector-bounces at tvbf.org[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
OnBehalf Of Andrew EllzeySent: Monday, August 06, 2007
6:15 AMTo: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
listSubject: Re: REFLECTOR: Remote compass
locationThose mounting their Magnetometer in their
outboardstrakes, how far forward from the wing
mountingboltsdid you place your magnetometer? Did you
keep thewiring from your strobes and nav lighting
separatedorrun them together without any
interference?Andy
EllzeyXLRG_______________________________________________To
change your email address,
visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit
the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw =
tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives:
www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old
archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives:
www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives:

-- -    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered
by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual
sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all
governments everywhere. Possession is normally
punishable by death.    Richard Childers