REFLECTOR: vortex generators

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Mon Aug 6 06:37:14 CDT 2007

The Factory has VGs they sell as a set with template for installation or
you can buy them individually.  They are a bit more then at el cheapo,
something like a buck apiece, but they are well shaped and by scratching
up the underside, they stick on the wing and canard well with silastic.
They also paint up well.

When I did a repaint, I left them off.  I flew a while and didn't notice
much difference.  Then, I happened to be giving a ride to an EZ driver
(a fairly robust guy) and was coming in on long final when I started
notice vertical oscillation (porpoising).  It started out subtle and got
more pronounced the slower I got.  It was the same sensation as doing
pitch-buck stalls.  At 3000' agl, no problem. At 30' agl, it's a whole
different matter.

After discussing with S.Baker, K.Mishler, et al, I decided to follow the
suggestion of adding 1/2 set VGs to the canard.  Big difference.  I'm
able to hold the nose off much better with only the occasional "plop",
but a more muted one at that.  With two people in front, heavy fuel and
some other gear, the approach is rock steady without a hint of
oscillation.

As I was forewarned, its not a good idea to put a full set on the canard
and none on the wings.  The canard still needs to stall before the wing
so you don't find your self in "deep s****.

Chuck Jensen