REFLECTOR: seal bulkheads before baffles?

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Thu Aug 2 12:30:43 CDT 2007

TEC,

Well - I'd have to re-read the manual - but when we sealed our strakes, the baffles were treated just like they were bulkheads - yes, we glassed the mouse holes, and made sure they didn't have any pinholes.  That meant digging some of the foam out- and filling with epoxy/micro - and then glassing.  If you have a pin hole on a bulkhead - it would allow fuel to migrate into the foam as well.

Strakes are one of the most critical construction areas of the Velocity - methods have changed somewhat over the years - i.e. Jeffco - also it is suggested to seal the strakes when closing with Jeffco - that means use Jeffco to glue the top of the strake on - 'gray goo' Aeropoxy is used on the strake to spar area - and outside the tank sealing area on the leading edge.

On the pre-seal - what we did is used a lightweight bid - and covered the entire fuel area of the strake - in our case, 3 of the strakes were made without peel ply - so had very rough surface -and pinholes.  We had to grind the stitching and sand them to get a 'bite' - and then put the lightweight bid and peel ply on.  So - that is what we did to seal the strakes properly.