REFLECTOR: seal bulkheads before baffles?

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 11:34:57 CDT 2007

In a message dated 8/2/2007 7:05:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bdtopp at comcast.net writes:

TEC,
   I don't believe anybody is sealing the portion of the strake  that is
directly under a bulkhead or baffle.  I know I didn't.  In  theory, fuel should
never see that area if you have a really good coat of  Jeffco on everything
including a nice bead on the top of the baffles and  bulkheads when closing out
the strake.

Bruce

Bruce,

I also did not pre-seal below the baffles prior to installation, and have
not had any leaks in 11 years.  However, I have always worried about it,  and
wish I did.  A bulkhead and a baffle are two different things  (unless things
have changes in the plans).  A bulkhead's core will never  see fuel as it is
stopped by it's inner skin, where a baffle's inner foam core  will see
fuel(unless things have changed and all edges including the mouse holes  are tapped and
sealed), and can migrate through it to the surface, approximately  9/16" wide,
area of the inner strake skin the baffle is sitting on.  While  the perimeter
and face of a bulkhead can be sealed as it's exposed, the area of  the strake
skin the baffle is sitting on cannot.  I worried after I closed  my strakes
about this, and just lucked out that there were no pin holes in the  factories
lay ups.  I like the pre-seal with peal ply before installing the  baffles.
Wish I did.  If you have put fuel in with no leaks, we both  should go to Vegas.
TEC