REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Tue Apr 24 15:07:48 CDT 2007

Ok - I know - Windows 98 is NOT something that we typically install in
our velocities....

According to the wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98

Windows 98 was released in May 1999.  EOS was July 11, 2006 (orig.
planned Jan 16, 2004)

I don't think Microsoft ever said Vista would run on a 5 year old
PC....wheras.....

I think BMA may have said something that- WSI, WX500, etc. would....
but this has nothing to do with their trade-in policy. Companies do not
have to have a trade-in policy to 'do the right thing'.

I do agree with the ' Do not buy any Avionics until the..'  I also know
first hand if someone is building their own panel and doing wiring,
there is a point when the eq. needs to be purchased - and it will still
take time to wire, etc. I have been very fortunate in that my system is
not obsolete.

As can be seen, having a trade-in/upgrade policy can provide a marketing
advantage - take Chelton as an example, they offered CPU upgrades (with
memory upgrades) for $400/screen - required (highly suggested anyway) if
WSI weather was something of interest.  The system was sold that WSI
would work, but the software and update speed requires (again highly
suggested anyway) a CPU upgrade.   The upgrade was not offered for free.

GRT has their new HX system - I think $2,000 upgrade for Horizon I users
+ $200 labor if already flying - new graphics CPU, processor, higher res
screen, etc.  Not free.   Both seem to be good value in my opinion.

Feel free to hit the delete button

John
Do not archive.