REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Apr 24 14:04:58 CDT 2007

Larry, the shorter cycle of processor obsolescence is understood by
(nearly) all.  However, the fact that a newer processor is available
does not warrant dropping support and promised upgrades for existing
units.  Even Microsoft, the heartless ones, provide support for most
everything for 5-10 years.

The malfeasance BMA is guilty of (if any) is promising features in a
microprocessor that they knew was tapped out for capacity and knew they
could never deliver.  And, if they didn't know they were running out of
processor capacity, then it seems they are guilty of  world-class
incompetence.  Either way, they are in a position of having to make good
on their commercial inducements. Inducements are usually conveyed
through technical specifications, advertising literature and verbal
representations.  It looks like BMA has a serious problem with their
literature and if enough buyers are consistent with the representations
made to them by BMA, which they seem to be, then BMA may be forced to
pay-the-piper.

In the end, the likely settlement would be for BMA to give full credit
for buyers of the Gold Box toward purchase of the newest, greatest
do-dad from BMA.  Of course, this still isn't very magnanimous given
that GRT already does that with no legal Sword of Damacleus hanging over
their head.  Some companies just take a little more "encouragement" than
others to end up doing the right thing.

Chuck Jensen

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Lawrence Epstein,MD

These discussions have reinforced what I consider to be a basic tenet of
building an aircraft- Do not buy any Avionics until the very last
minute, especially if it is an "electronic" or microprocessor controlled
device.

I think that it must be remembered that computer processor speed doubles
approximately every 18 months (since it's invention). It is unreasonable
to expect any "computer" to be upgradeable to current standards for more
than a couple of years as new software is written to take advantage of
newer/faster processors. Assuming that the manufacturer maintains the
platform for a couple of years beyond the relative obsolescence of the
processor (in order to mature the device) you may have an upgradeable
lifespan of 5 years from inception.  That having been said, I think a
consumer (particularly in Aviation) should be able to expect that the
manufacturer will stockpile enough replacement parts for at least 10
years after the last 1 is sold. Promises of upgradeability need to be
considered with the above in mind. Along with the viability of the
company for support (I doubt any of these products will have any
support/repair options if the manufacturer dies.

Puts a whole new light on my panel plan! (I am considering the BMA).

Larry Epstein
Just my 20c