REFLECTOR: Fire Detection

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed Apr 11 15:49:15 CDT 2007

For fire detection, I mounted thermocouples on the aileron linkage
support structure on both sides of the engine.  These TC were tied into
the Grand Rapids EFIS which had a couple spares inputs.  The temps are
displayed on the engine screen and I set the alarm about 15F higher than
the highest temps I see during climb.  If an exhaust pipe gives way, it
seems certain that the temp increase will sufficient to immediately
trigger the high temp alarm on the GRT EFIS screen.  A small gas fire in
the lower front area at the bottom of the bulkhead where the fuel filter
is located may be slower to generate enough temp rise to provide an
alarm.  I hope never to find out whether it works or not!!!

Others have installed daisy chain TCs that may have an advantage of
being sensitive to high temps at multiple points in the area of the
engine.  There are several variations, but they all serve the same
purpose--to give early notice of fire to allow max time to save our
bacon.

Chuck Jensen
XLRG IO-540