REFLECTOR: Engine fire!! (was Aileron Cables(Fire-sleeving))

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 15:04:40 CDT 2007

A few years ago I had an engine fire during take-off/climbout.  My first
indication was a sudden rough-running engine because (later determined)
ignition wires insulation burning and allowing the conductors to short
together and to case ground. At this point, I was not especially alarmed and
just turned back and asked for an immediate "cleared to land".  During the
turn-back and approach, the ailerons began to seize and that really started
the alarm bells in my head as I knew from a previous experience with a
broken exhaust that I now had a fire!  You will definitely hear the exhaust
note change when a pipe breaks and this was not the case here.  Landing was
routine (other than steering with rudders since the ailerons were
immovable), and by the time I stopped, the fire had extinguished itself.   I
was at a far-from-home airport and thanks to some local pilots/owners and a
great local airplane salvage yard, I was able to find replacement parts
(except for the aileron cable that had to come from Velocity) and in a few
days was again on my way home.
The 100%-for-sure cause of the fire was not known but it was generally
agreed (by several of the persons helping me with repairs) that it was
gasoline-fed.  Details of the clues and of the damage to the wing roots are
too convoluted to detail here.  Suffice it to say that since repairs, I have
no fear of it recurring.
My wife was in the back seat (she usually goes to sleep when the wheels come
up and wakes when I land) and when someone later asked her if she was
frightened, she replied "No, I knew he could handle it" but while turning
back, I did not tell her about a fire... she thought it was simply a "minor
mechanical" problem.

I have some thoughts about fire detection/suppression but this message is
becoming quite long enough.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS