REFLECTOR: Aileron Cables(Fire-sleeving)

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 11 12:02:18 CDT 2007

This reminds me of a question I had about engine fire...

What are the indication that our engine is on fire?  On a Cessna, it is obvious since you are sitting right behind a burning engine with flames shooting out from below cowling but on our plane, how would we know we are trailing flames and black smoke behind us?

Assuming we have CHT, EGT, Oil T, Oil P, etc set up, do we get some unusual reading that tells us that the engine is on fire?  Or would loss of control the first indication that something is really gone bad?

I had a moment of scare when I saw my induction temperature go up to the point it saturated the sensor (at 200 degrees or so).  I thought I had an induction fire until I realized that on touch and go, I left the carb-heat on on a climb-out with full-power on sending a lot of hot air into the carb.

Hiroo