REFLECTOR: Aileron Cables

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Mon Apr 9 22:19:52 CDT 2007

About year 2000 it was determined experimentally (at the moment I forget by
who) that the original aileron push-pull cables could seize if overheated
(by say, an exhaust leak) in flight.  [The plane was landed successfully
with rudders alone.]

This got the collective attention of the reflectorites and a bunch of us
went in on a group buy of higher- temperature-rated push-pull cables.  At
that time it was also emphasized by all that we should be fire-sleeving the
portion of the cables that is on the engine side of the firewall.  I believe
that Velocity subsequently began providing a higher temperature-rated
push-pull cable for their kits, but I'm not sure about that.

I don't know if anyone tested the original push-pull cables with firesleeve
in a fire or major exhaust leak (no one wanted to volunteer), so it's not
known whether that is sufficient.  You could be that volunteer and let the
rest of us know how it works out!

Keith Hallsten