REFLECTOR: Dead Aeroflash power unit

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Apr 9 13:26:34 CDT 2007

I use the same technique with the drill.  I also grip the other side of
the rivet with cutters, pliers would probably do, to prevent it from
spinning.

John

Jorge Bujanda wrote:

> Hiroo,
>
> I am always weary of the Dremel when using it for certain critical
> tasks like this one. Those Dremel bits can really damage a part in no
> time if they get stuck in the material for whatever reason. My
> approach may be somewhat unorthodox but it has proven to be fast,
> simple and secure every time. When I want to remove a rivet, I use a
> drill bit of the same rivet size in a slow drill and very carefully
> drill the rivet head until it separates from the body.The hole in the
> rivet head acts as a guide for the drill bit.Sometimes I just stop
> slightly short of separating the head and just brake it off with a
> slight pull. If done slowly and carefully, it allows easy removal of
> the rivet parts leaving the hole intact for the new one
Just a
> thought.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Bujanda
> Velocity XL FG
>
> Palmdale, CA
> Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/
>
> "Make your best case... not the best case."
> "Spare the noise... convince through silence."

  strobes WILL ruin the capacitors.  Maybe even cause them to
  explode!
  Whelan warns against this.

  Proper procedure is to remove the flash tube, apply 75% of
  normal supply
  voltage for 10 to 15 minutes. Wait until the capacitor
  discharges ( hour).
  Re-install the flash tube. You can then use full voltage without
  harming the
  capacitor. All this and the full story in the November Issue of
  the Experimenter, p 39! (don't know what year - 2000?)

> Speaking of strobes - I found that if the inside of the heavy glass
> strobe tube cover is turning milky colored, it is a sign that moisture
> is leaking in.  After buying two replacement tubes over two years, my
> I/A friend had a used spare he had pulled.  We sealed the glass to the
> rubber strobe seat with RTV.  That strobe is still working after 10
> years!
> Ron

  Is that