REFLECTOR: Dead Aeroflash power unit

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 9 10:53:28 CDT 2007

Hello folks,

In inspecting my plane this weekend, I found out that my left wing flasher wasn't flashing.  After a rather lengthy contortionist acts with the wrenches, I pulled both left and right side flasher power unit and determined that the failure follows the power unit that came out of the left wingroot.

In reviewing the FAQ from the Aeroflash's web site, I discovered that these things have "shelf life" where if they sit inactive for over a year, they are likely to fail when you get it started up.  Given that the thing has sat for over five years without running power to them, I can imagine them going "bad".  According to the site, the problem is in the electrolytic capacitor that loses its polarity and overheats when powered back up.

That gives me enough information to "refurb" the unit for probably less than $5 when the new one is over $100.  I am quite handy with soldering iron and am comfortable messing around in the electronics.  The question is...  Is that advisable?  Has anyone seen this happen and successfully repaired it?

Hiroo