REFLECTOR: South Houston

Christopher Barber CBarber at TexasAttorney.net
Fri Apr 6 16:31:23 CDT 2007

Steve,

I assume that by south Houston, you do not mean the actual town of "South
Houston" (it is no longer a very good part of town).  However, if you are
meaning the southern half of the Great City of Houston, I AM YOUR MAN.  I
live (and have grown up and have had my law practice) in SE Houston, and I
work as a cop in a city called Bellaire, which is surrounded on all four
sides by SW Houston.

The second and third largest airports in Houston are on the SE side (Hobby -
HOU & Ellington-EFD...where I have a hangar).  The largest, "The big Bush"
Intercontinental Airport-IAH is about 30 miles to the north.  No real hangar
availability at HOU or IAH.  I had to wait on the EFD waiting list for a few
years.  These are the three big airports run by the City of Houston.  IAH
and HOU are mostly for airlines.  EFD is GA with the Air Guard.  It is a
former Air Force based and used extensively by NASA....i.e. "vomit comet"
the "flying guppy", T-38 with astronauts at the stick, et. al.

Smaller airports around are Pearland Regional (aka Clover Field), Houston
Southwest and Sugar Land....kinda depends with part of southern Houston you
are referring to.  Sugar Land is a good 40 minute drive from Ellington...but
still pretty much considered Houston.

Hangar space will probably run you about $350.00 per month wherever you are.
I share my hangar with a buddy who is restoring an ol' V-EZ.  It is a very
nice hangar though.

Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, please, do not hesitate
to contact me on my cell at 832-818-CELL (2355).  I am the president of EAA
Houston; Chapter 12 and hope you will consider checking us out as well.  I
hope I can help.

You will know you have made it to Houston when you realize you can DRINK
your air <g>

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber