REFLECTOR: Leak testing Fuel Strake

Randy Monzelowsky randy at dakotacaulking.com
Fri Apr 6 09:14:46 CDT 2007

Larry,

In my line of work, I am asked to troubleshoot and pinpoint the source of
leaky wall/window systems.

I will typically run a plastic sheet a few feet back, on the inside of the
wall system duct taping the perimeter of the plastic tight. I then take a
fog machine (cheap Halloween type unit) and fill the area in with a HEAVY
fog. Then I seal a wet/dry vacuum cleaner hose (of course, in blower mode)
to the plastic sheet. The low pressure and intense fog will take usually
less than a minute to work its way through a wall/window system and pinpoint
the source of the leak.

The fogging product leaves no residue.

Another trick I've used is a fluorescent product called Reveal A-690plus
Coolant Leak Detection Additive. The intended use is to find leaks in an
automotive cooling system. It comes in a 1oz bottle which you pour into the
radiator. Inspecting the suspected leak area with a UV (blacklight)
flashlight, you can spot the problem source. Flashlight about $4.99 - eBay
Additive about $6.00 - Auto supply dealer.

Just some thoughts. Don't know if slightly modifying these methods will work
or not.

Randy C. Monzelowsky

Currently resurrecting a basket case Elite RG / Franklin