REFLECTOR: Leak testing Fuel Strake

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 6 09:09:08 CDT 2007

Hi Larry,

DON'T USE 2-3 PSI - you can pop a bulkhead joint loose!

First, you want to determine IF you have any leaks.

Seal up the fuel strake - close off the fuel outlets and make sure the filler cap is closed well - it helps to put some Vaseline on the O rings.  You might need to tighten the nut a bit under the fuel cap to get a good seal.

Then connect a water manometer, a tee and a shut off valve.  The water manometer is simply a U shaped tube about 3' high, with one end open to the atmosphere, and the other end connected to the Tee.  Fill the U tube half full of water.

Run a hose from the Tee to the vent on the strake.  The other leg of the tee should have a length of tubing and a shut off valve.  Now blow into the shut off valve until the one leg of the water in the U tube is a foot higher than the other leg.  This is about 1/2 PSI.  If everything is sealed up, the water level in the U tube will remain for 2-3 days with the only changes being related to temperature and barometer changes.  If the water level falls, start looking for leaks - first in the shut off valve, then the fuel filler cap.  Next check the fuel outlets.  Use Windex or dish detergent mixed with water to look for the leaks.  If the leaks weren't in any of the above, then its time to start soapy water testing of the strake joints.

Fingers crossed!!!

Ronnie