REFLECTOR: Leak testing Fuel Strake

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 6 09:07:24 CDT 2007

Larry,

I believe the refrigerant and sniffer would be used to find a "known" leak.

If you are in the initial testing phase, the first step would be basic.
Seal the tank and add low air pressure.  I'm not sure that you even need 2
psi.  Just enough that you can detect the difference between the tank and
ambient.  I have seen altimeters and water manometers used.  It will need to
be sensitive as you will not have a large pressure differential.

I would recommend you leave the tank under pressure for at least 24 hours
before taking your reading.  Remember you will have some potential change
due simply to changes in ambient pressure.

If you want to be very thorough, you would test the tanks with the craft at
rest, then test with the wings stressed (force from underneath) simulating
lift.

FWIW,

Andy

  _____