REFLECTOR: RG Questions

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 6 09:32:46 CDT 2007

"There should be no fiber lock nuts in the engine compartment"

I disagree with this statement. You don't want them on any critical applications - for certain.  However, my I/A buddy with many years of experience doesn't feel this is a problem.  If you are finding nuts that are loosing their tension - then yes replace them with crush nuts or castled nuts and cotter pins.  But the blanket statement of no nylocks or fiber lock nuts in the engine compartment is not accurate.

After 4 years and nearly 350 hours, I have seen no problems with any of the nylocks in my engine compartment.

My opinion!

Ronnie