REFLECTOR: fuel probe types and mounting locations

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:43:28 CDT 2007

Andrew,
I installed two of the same Westech gauges. I assume your strakes are
already finished as mine were when I installed two Westach gauges with 90
degree bending probes. I don't have pics handy, but can easily describe
where to drill. First, a drilling tip: Use a vacuum cleaner to keep trash
from dropping into the tank as you drill. After getting the hole drilled, I
fashioned a small flex tube that bends 90 degrees to suck any trash from the
floor of the tank just below your hole. You can't see in there at 90 angle
downward, but the small tube you fashion (duct taped to the vacuum hose) can
get 99% of any trash that drops below the hole. I fashioned my smaller tube
using 1/2" sprinkler line with 90 degree fitting. I stepped up to bigger
pipe on the front end that I hooked the vacuum hose to.

First, using the roof of strake baggage compartment as your reference for
the top of the tank, measure 3 inches below the strake line - mark it.
Second, looking to the rear of your plane, measure 4 inches back from the
rear bulkhead of the strake baggage compartment - start measuring back from
the point where it meets the fuselage wall inside your plane. Obviously,
these measurements could vary an inch or so depending on the size of your
mounting. I machined an aluminum "top hat" that fit inside the hole. Then,
the westach gauge fits on the flange of the top hat and screws into the
flange of the top hat. I hope this is of some value.

Dennis Martin
173 Chevy Powered FG

--
All the best,