REFLECTOR: Elevator Trimming

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 22:37:01 CDT 2007

Larry,

 Do me and yourself a favor:  Tomorrow, call the factory and double check the
physical measurements of your offset torque tubes, AND the instructions!

I had some incorrect parts, some incorrect instructions (in my overall
correct manual) and some incorrect incidence gauges. It's best to stop now and
figure out what is up.

I have the 173 Elite, with the offset torque tubes. I have 4 hinges per side,
so which one is "the center"?

I went outside and measured mine. The torque tube offset plate is 23.5" from
the second hinge away from the fuselage.
Both sides are exactly the same, EXCEPT:  The fuselage was not symmetrical,
so there was a 1" gap on the pilots side between the end of the elevator and
the fuselage. There was about 3/16" on the right.

I ended up making some fill pieces that make the gap a perfect 1/4" on each
side (neutral, at the fat side).
On mine.. the inboard end of the elevator cut is at the torque tube offset
plate.  Those are  34.25" apart from each other.

The clearances do get closer as the elevator moves down.

Also, as I recall, if you cut the elevators square, you will have to do some
more trimming later because the fuselage widens as it goes back from the
torque tubes.

Hope this helps, let me know what you discover.

 Kurt Winker

In a message dated 4/2/2007 3:42:52 PM Mountain Daylight Time,