REFLECTOR: PERFECTO -- THEN MURPHY'S LAW

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 1 01:20:21 CDT 2007

Hi Tom,
Bummer, but could have been a lot worse...

> When I pulled the nose gear down it would not lock into place.

This is the only almost-useful piece of info but it begs the questions:
1) When you "...pulled the nose gear down...", was that by opening the dump
valve and letting it drop or from using the pump?
2) it did not lock on its own when it dropped or it did not drop far enough
to lock?
3) if it did not drop far enough on its own, was that perhaps because of
some result of the
gear-up landing?
4) did it lock when you "helped" it down?

You haven't told us enough yet to make any better than wild guesses.  If it
was mine, I'd jack it up, put a charger on the battery and cycle the gear as
many dozen-of-times as required to observe and confirm some anomaly.  And
also, without using the pump...
5) open the valve
6) pull it up by hand, close the valve to hold it up,
7) open the valve, let it drop and observe what happens.
8) repeat 6) and 7) until your arm gets tired than get someone else to do
it...

Regards 7), mine will usually not lock "over-center" on its own just sitting
on jacks and dropping by opening the dump valve without a slight kick on the
front of the tire.  When airborne, with wind loading, it always locks as
expected.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS