REFLECTOR: MUSCLE PLANES

len.baxter at gm.com len.baxter at gm.com
Thu Sep 28 12:37:08 CDT 2006

Al,

I have been planning to use the Vesta V8  solution on a XLRG ..... but you
make a compelling case.  Where can I get info on the rotary??? does anyone
do a FWF package??

Len Baxter

__________________

Tom;

I noted that you didn?t ask about the rotary, but consider that it
eliminates all those pistons, connecting rods, valves, rocker arms, push
rods, etc., with their reciprocal motion.  Comes stock with two plugs per
rotor and normal setup is with two injectors per rotor for redundancy.  A
normally aspirated 3-rotor with 2.17 to 1 reduction gets you started at
about 265 hp (loafing), at a weight under that of an IO540.  If you want
more power go to 3.5 : 1 reduction and get about 320 hp for just a few lbs
more in the cooling system.  Add a turbo charger and some porting, and go
to 600 hp, but only if you want to win at Reno.

My ?all up? (prop not included) NA installation is about 420 lbs wet.
 Total cost for the fairly highly customized installation is about
$23,000.  Runs best on mogas, a buck and a half, or so, less than Avgas,
but is also quite happy with avgas.  It fits into a cowl that is more
compact than needed for an IO360 (mine is on an SE RG).  I?m quite happy
with the package, except for some glitches with the electronic ECU which
apparently wasn?t designed for long runs from panel to engine, in a
composite airframe subject to electrical noise; but I?m confident of
getting that resolved.

Al

user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail