REFLECTOR: MUSCLE PLANES

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Wed Sep 27 23:01:15 CDT 2006

You know ... the more I mess with airplanes (now going on 30+ years) and
the more I look at aircraft engines ... the more I realize that they
don't hold a candlestick to automotive technology.
So ... in contemplating my next project (which may or may not be a V)
... what is the wisdom here regarding powerful automobile engines.  I
want something comparable to more powerful that the IO-550 or the
IO-540.
I know there are a few guys here who are running Chevys.  Here's what I
would like to know:
-Do you have to convert your auto engine?  Or are there companies that
do it for you?
-Are they heavier than standard aircraft engines?
-Do they require a lot of fabrication and modification?  What about
engine mounts?
-Are they quieter?  Do they run smoother?
-Do you need gear reduction drives?
-Do they end up being cheaper?  Or more expensive?
Thanks for any info.
Tom