REFLECTOR: 24 volt electrical system

Jim james_greening at telus.net
Wed Sep 27 18:26:19 CDT 2006

jewen at comporium.net wrote:

>Andy,
>
>Use 2 12 volt batteries in series (24v.)  For the 12 volt circuit(s),
>center tap between the two batteries. See attached drawing.
>
>Joe
>

>On Wed, September 27, 2006 10:27 am, Andrew Ellzey wrote:
>

>>I would have liked to use a 24 volt electrical system on my aircraft, the
>>problem is the hydraulic gear pump system being 12 volt @ 30 amp. Has
>>anyone flying an XLRG found a way around this issue?
>>
>>Andy Ellzey_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>

>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Joe

It is not a good idea to use the circuit and set up the batteries as you
have indicated you are better off to use a converter to lower the
voltage.  By following the circuit as discribed  you will over charge
the battery located at the location 12 V to 24 Volts, what happens is
the altenator or generator supplies a current  (Amps) to operate the
equipment installed in the aircraft or other device.  Both batteries
receive say 50 amps or so the battery located at 0 to 12 Volts receives
50 anps - the current required to operate the equipment associated with
it let's say 30 amps for the equipment so 20 amps is charge for the 0 -
12 Volt battery.  The battery located at the 12V -24 Volt location also
receives 50 Amps but only 5 amps is required to maintain / operate the
equipment in its circuit.  The battery located at 12 Volts to 24 Volts
will receive an extra 45 amps and will boil or dry out in short order
and there will be very low capacity in this battery and you will be
repl;acing it on a regular basis and not understand why it is failing as
it has no load and it should not be the one that is failing.

Regards
Jim Greening